Total time: 40 minutes
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup pumpkin puree (from the can or homemade)
1 cup canned diced tomatoes (chopped into smaller chunks)
1 cup vegetable stock or water
1 can black beans (15 oz)
1/2 can chick peas (7.5 oz)
1 tablespoon cumin powder (start with half the amount, and add more, to taste)
2 tablespoons chili powder (start with 1 tablespoon, reduce or add more, depending on your tastes)
salt and pepper
1) In a large pot or skillet, cook chopped onion and minced garlic in olive oil for about 5 minutes on medium heat until soft.
2) Add pumpkin, canned tomatoes, vegetable stock, black beans and chick peas to pot. Add half the cumin and half the chili powder, stir everything well, and season with salt and pepper. Taste your chili, season some more with salt and pepper if needed. Add the remaining cumin (or more) and remaining chili powder (or more), if desired. Bring to boil, make sure to stir all ingredients well together to combine flavors and spices. Reduce to simmer and cook for 20 minutes on simmer.
3) Serve in soup bowls, garnished with chopped green onion.
Triple Herb Sourdough & Pumpernickel Stuffing
A clean eating approach to Thanksgiving!
Serves 12 (serving size: 1/2 cup)
1 (1-lb.) sourdough bread loaf, cut into 3/4-in. cubes (about 9 cups)
4 ounces pumpernickel bread, cubed (about 2 cups)
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 cups finely chopped yellow onion
1 cup finely chopped celery
2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage
1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
6 garlic cloves, finely chopped
3 cups unsalted chicken stock or bone broth
2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
2 large eggs, beaten
1. Preheat oven to 350°F
2. Arrange bread cubes in a single layer on a baking sheet; bake at 350°F for 10 minutes or until toasted, stirring once after 5 minutes. Place bread cubes in a large bowl.
3. Heat 1 tablespoon butter and oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high. Add onion and celery; sauté 5 minutes. Stir in sage, thyme, rosemary, and garlic; cook 5 minutes. Add herb mixture to bread.
4. Melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter in skillet. Combine butter, stock, 1 tablespoon parsley, 1 tablespoon chives, pepper, and eggs in a bowl. Add to bread mixture; toss gently to combine. Spoon bread mixture into a 2-quart baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350°F for 40 minutes or until browned. Sprinkle with remaining 1 tablespoon parsley, remaining 1 tablespoon chives, and celery leaves, if using.