There’s nothing that says breezy beach barbecue like fish tacos.
MAKE AHEAD: Cut, stem and seed poblanos. Prepare the gremolata (through Step 1). Cut foil and parchment pieces for the grill.
FINISH ON SITE: Grill tortillas, poblanos, avocados and cod; assemble tacos.
PACK THESE TOOLS: Grill, grilling tongs, brush, spatula, knife, cutting board and fork.
- 20minPREP TIME
6 tbsp fresh cilantro
¼ cup fresh flat-leaf parsley
3 cloves garlic
½ red jalapeño or serrano chile, halved and seeded
2 tsp finely chopped lime zest + 3 limes, quartered, for serving
12 6-inch corn tortillas
4 poblanos (4 oz each), each cut into 3–4 large pieces, stemmed and seeded
4½ tbsp olive oil, divided
3 avocados, halved and pitted
1¼ tsp sea salt, divided
¾ tsp ground black pepper, divided
1½ lb skinless cod fillets
1 tsp ground coriander
- Prepare gremolata: On a cutting board, chop cilantro, parsley, garlic, chile and lime zest together (or pulse together in a food processor). Transfer to a portable lidded container; refrigerate.
- Preheat a grill or grill pan on medium. Grill tortillas until grill-marked, about 2 minutes per side.
- Brush poblanos with 2 tbsp oil and halved avocados with 1 tbsp oil. Grill avocados on high, cut side down, until grill-marked, about 2 minutes. Grill poblanos until crisp-tender, about 5 minutes per side. Season poblanos with ½ tsp salt and ¼ tsp pepper. Thinly slice poblanos crosswise and thinly slice avocados.
- Reduce heat on grill to medium. Brush cod with remaining 1½ tbsp oil, sprinkle with coriander, ¾ tsp salt and ½ tsp pepper, and grill until marked and flaky, 4 to 5 minutes per side. Transfer to a cutting board and flake into large chunks. (NOTE: To prevent delicate fish from flaking too much on the grill, cut pieces of foil an inch wider than the size of the fish and line with a smaller piece of parchment paper. Brush generously with oil, then cookw fish on top. If you’re using a grill pan, you can place fish straight into pan.)
- Divide avocados, poblano, flaked fish and gremolata among tortillas. Serve with lime wedges.